Water & Air Research, Inc. supported a law firm in a two pronged legal strategy case on behalf of the Seminole Tribe of Florida against an electric utility and a local government. The case resulted from the proposed siting and rezoning of lands for a future Photo Voltaic facility and/or natural gas-fired Combined Cycle generation plant near one of the Tribe’s Reservations in south Florida.
- Analyzed site meteorology and atmospheric chemistry of the local area.
- Addressed impacts on haze, visibility and dark sky concerns.
- Evaluated cooling tower and steam generator plume impacts.
- Calculated amount of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Estimated expected impacts on noise levels.
In a decision in September 2014, the Circuit Court enjoined the local government from rezoning land immediately adjacent to the Seminole Tribe of Florida’s Big Cypress Seminole Indian Reservation. The Circuit Court concurred that the rezoning was inconsistent with County’s Comprehensive Plan and granted declaratory judgment for the Seminole Tribe. The Court’s Order prevents the utility company from moving forward with the power plant.