Water & Air assists with permit compliance at four heavy mineral mines in north central Florida. Each mine has its own Industrial Wastewater Facilities Permit (IWFP) that allows discharge of industrial wastewater to state ground and surface waters. Water used in the mineral mining and product separation operations must meet specific quality criteria before discharging off-site. Water & Air collects field data and water samples for specific tests at discharge locations where operational activities are dynamic and at background sites for permit-required comparisons. Data are reported in various formats to meet the needs of each Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) IWFP.
- Collected field data from discharge and background locations.
- Collected water samples for chemical, physical, radiological and bioassay testing.
- Monitored water levels in wetlands, wells, and piezometers.
- Serviced and managing data from weather stations.
- Tracked and documented impacts from off-site releases.
- Authored and implemented a Toxicant Identification Evaluation Plan for bioassays.
IWFP compliance data have been routinely submitted on time and with all requested and appropriate supporting documentation. Water & Air staff members have performed all of their tasks in a safe and accident-free manner which is especially important to highly regulated mining-industry clients.